Monday, February 09, 2004

The Romans of being a storyteller.

Just going thru some Greek/Roman mythology. Damn those buggers had a bloody ball of it!

I remember always being fascinated by that whole bunch of Gods and heroes. Guess it started with my man Ulysses. My mom handed me that book when I was about 3 years old. My kindergarten teacher still recounts how I stunned the socks off my school assembly one morning.

Apparently, I happily trundled onstage (3/4 years old, mind you) and spent 10 minutes rattling off the first chapter (or the whole story in brief, I forget which) of The Adventures of Ulysses. I guess that's where I got my reputation of a storyteller. For the next 8 years, ANY time there was a free period, I was PUSHED to the front of the class (me, the chronic back-bencher), and was required to basically regale. I used to recount in perfect detail a movie I saw last week, or even last month. It got so bad, I sometimes had to recount my dreams! By the way, I have, or at least used to have, the weirdest dreams you ever heard. Anyway, I remember I used to enjoy it and I guess I told the stories well, because I was always asked for more. What a memory i had.

Now, I can barely remember where I was and what exactly I did (that I probably shouldn't have) last night! Last week, for all practical purposes, did not exist.

I guess as we grow older, only the most important or cherished stuff stays with us. But, occasionally, the filter malfunctions and you seem to remember utterly useless crap. For example, I was on a bus to B'lore abt 6-7 yrs ago. At one point, I suddenly wanted to test my memory and decided to take a mental picture. I 'clicked'. I still remember that guy in the striped cream shirt and mottled green pants walking and wondering why some city idiot is hanging his head out of the window and staring.

See? Utterly useless.

Anyway, coming back to that incestuous Greco-Roman bunch. I remember walking thru the Uffizi Gallery in Florence and looking at the busts of all these Gods, Goddesses and heroes. Have you SEEN those women? No wonder they all had such a ball. Plus, this is where we get the current meaning of nymphomania from. All those horny nymphs lying around with nothing else to do. I don't get it. Our/their Gods and Goddesses can get it on as much as they want, yet WE'VE got 'dirty minds' if we as much as THINK about it. Bloody unfair, I say.

Damn, they had it good back then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home