Sunday, March 21, 2004

Identity

So I went to the pub to watch the India-Pakistan ODI. Hate going to them noisy places 'cos the drunk buffoons and the dumbass DJs drown out the commentary, which I feel is very important in cricket. It's not like football, where the state of the game is pretty obvious, the rules are simple, and drunken revelry just adds to the fun and general mayhem.

Surprise surprise. I actually enjoyed myself in the first time I went to a pub to watch a cricket match. B&C was good, though not overly rocking. Anyway, the interesting part was towards the end of the Pak innings. I asked the drunken bunch in front of me for a light and they were rather unexpectedly gracious. The punch-happy, bespectacled loudmouth in the centre said "Why a light? Here, take my cigarette itself!". Not the first time I've seen such behaviour, but the reason became a little clearer with what he said next.

"Dil pe mat lena bhai, magar aaj to India maa chudaayegi!" - don't take it personally, but India will win today (in somewhat more colourful language).

He obviously thought I was Pakistani. Can't blame him really - I had my long white kurta, and my little chin beard (yes, after a very long time!). Guess I must have looked a little like a stereotypical Muslim. Not that I mind, really. It doesn't matter what or who you think I am, as long as your prejudice doesn't affect me negatively. I've faced discrimination, been called 'Paki' (not in this country, of course) before - it did bother me a little then, it didn't bother me now. Because I sensed there was no bad intent here - just healthy rivalry and banter. And I like that anyway - I've myself had famous individual football and cricket rivalries with my best Muslim friends in school and college. I appreciate good sporting skills and these guys' presumptions must have been further confirmed when I was applauding the Pakis' batting skills. Guess they missed me being the first to celebrate the fall of every Pakistani wicket. In any case, it was nice to see Indians appreciating Pakistani cricketing talent.

Maybe I should take being mistaken for a Pakistani as a compliment even - the Pakistanis are, by and large, a rather good-looking lot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home