Wednesday, October 06, 2004

It ain't fun if it's easy...

...but does it have to be THIS much fun?

My luck is SO bad, it's not funny. No, really. All the heathen non-believers have been converted upon witnessing what can only be described as miraculous bad luck. And it's pretty much in all aspects. What constitutes good or bad luck is, of course, relative - obviously my luck cannot be worse than the guy who lost his house and everything he owned in a hurricane. Or some such thing.

Ha! That's only because it hasn't happened yet.

It's difficult to enumerate individual incidents, but let me try. I was sent some application forms on the 20th of Sept, with the last date it had to reach Delhi being Oct 7th. I needed two references. I wanted to send the stuff by 1st Oct because it's really important. I gave the first person the papers around 24th. Then he fell sick. Then a friend of his died. Then another friend's father died. Then he fell sick again. It's a 25 km drive through painful traffic to get to him. Anyway, finally, I had to go some 25 km in a completely unknown direction to some obscure research station at 9 am, bunking office, to get the reference. On the goddamn FOURTH of Oct.

The second reference was to be from my college prof. I took half day leave and went to college. There was some meeting, so I waited. For 3 hours. Doing abso-fuckin-lutely nothing, when I had tons to do. So I had to get copies of my marksheet attested. Then I find out the guy who was supposed to do it died. The previous day. Can you imagine my frustration? As it is, the way my college functions is if you want something done today, it MAY get done day after tomorrow. If you really, really NEED it, it MAY happen tomorrow.

Crap.

So I go back the next day. I find the prof has left for the day. About 10 minutes before I got there. Damn. And it goes on and on till I finally meet him and things get sorted out. On the 5th of Oct. I courier it to Delhi on the evening of the 5th. I can only PRAY the delivery guy didn't leave the truck door open and a rabid dog didn't pick just MY package out of the HUNDREDS, pee on it, then tear it to shreds. Amen.

But like I said, luck is relative. Obviously, it's worse luck that people passed away during this time (here, I would like to assure you that no animals or humans were harmed personally, by me, in person, during the posting of this application form). But in each person's own world, we have our own misfortunes. So it may not seem such a big deal to you, but it is to me. For some people, their vehicles not starting in the morning resulting in them getting to work late and getting shouted at by the boss is a bigger deal than the thousands of people on the streets they drive through not having food to eat.

Is it worth feeling guilty about thinking this way? I'm not so sure.

You know, reading the paragraphs about the references, I realise I just might be a harbinger of doom! The knock of the Grim Reaper. The Prince of Darkness!

Cooooool.

(am I twisted, or is it just me?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home