Thursday, July 13, 2006

It's amazing how words fly fast and furiously when fuelled by emotion. Any emotion. I go dry for months and then on one day, poetry flows interminably. Paragraph upon paragraph of incandescent prose, words gushing. Like there was never a drought at all.

Is this how poets, writers and musicians feel? I hesitate to say 'artists' because I cannot claim to understand much beyond prose and music. Even poetry is pushing it a bit. My drawing / painting skills are limited to house, tree, river, mountains with sun-in-between and such like. 'Scenery', my art teacher used to call it. It always used to be the first topic on the first art class of a new year. I remember thinking each time that 'THIS time, it will be different!' No such luck. Ever. The height of my artistic achievements was probably figuring out how to mix colours to obtain purple, so I could paint my drawing of the Phantom (big fan!).

My dancing skills are quite bad, I'm told. I, however, continue to believe I am a killer on the dance floor, when I actually deign to grace it. Untapped genius, really. People drag me onto the floor, unmindful of my protests. Don't want to give them a complex, I tell them. They watch open mouthed, I smile. Then they burst into fits of laughter. Don't bother covering your true feelings, I say. Envy will get you nowhere, I say.

My skills in other art forms are better left unmentioned.

Anyway, I wonder, how does being high make it easier to be creative? Does one see things one might not when sober? Maybe. Does one feel emotions more deeply? Quite possibly. Surely some scientific study somewhere has spent millions of dollars over several years to come up with results to support this theory. Careful subject selection, extensive testing, hundreds of pages of data, thousands of top scientist man-hours. The sensational results probably reading something like "we conclude that there is a good chance that alcohol consumption may lead to heightened emotional response and lowered sensory perception and general intelligence".
No shit, Einstein.

Well, at least the theory is a good one, proven everyday around the world, by men crying into their beers and talking to and / or bumping into telephone poles on the way home. I'm sure the scientist must be thinking ah, money well spent. No doubt Joe feels the same way and is trying to convince the telephone pole about it.

So getting drunk helps creativity. So does getting emotional.
Is 'drunk' an 'emotion'?

I think I'll just pop out and have a shot at testing this hypothesis. Anyone want to join me?

^

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Free whisky? If so, count me in. :)

11:10 AM, July 14, 2006  
Blogger Omni said...

People who are high just THINK they're being creative, LOL!!

9:17 PM, July 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when one gets high inhibitions are lost..then one gets brilliant ideas. such as..i never liked that bostead princi let me piss on his office door. or this DJ night looks like fun let me start a riot.

but count me in for the experiment.

9:34 PM, July 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Namasthe saaru!
Interesting post! :-)

5:11 AM, July 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good one

5:44 PM, July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@AC: well, not too sure abt the 'free' bit, but whisky is sure..:)

@omni : heh heh. :-)

@Aus : lol. yeah, i rem some brilliant alcohol-fuelled ideas meself...

@Adarsh : namaste anna. where u been?

@anon : thanks.

11:24 PM, July 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home