Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Mo' Movies

I am such a sucker for movies.

However, I HATE to have to watch them on the comp. It just takes something away from the whole experience, the magic of cinema. Now, one cannot always have the movies one wants to watch running at the theatres. Maybe one missed some of them due to one reason or the other. Still, one cannot just let them go unwatched, can one?

So I have to settle for them on TV. Praise and glory be to HBO, Star Movies, MGM and other movie channels - a totally enjoyable way to watch 8 hours a day just slip you by. I'd be lost without these channels. And the sports ones too. So I'm a mindless dolt couch potato fuelling corporate capitalism, watching mindless drivel, ignoring informative and educational television.
Sue me.

STILL, one cannot have one's favourite movies on these channels whenever one wants. And the dumbass DivX format plays only on computers. So, here I am stuck watching some great movies on the comp. I caught up on Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels, Requiem For A Dream, and Fight Club.

I'd heard so much about Requiem... but it still blew me away. Such a morbid tale and so fascinatingly told. What a MOTHER of a make up job on Ellen Burstyn, as on the others. I'm not sure but I think she won an award for that performance. She thoroughly deserves it and she did a fabulous job. Not to take away from Jen Connelly and the others, but probably their roles didn't offer as big an acting canvas. The movie reminded me of Trainspotting (the book; haven't seen the movie) and the directing style, especially in the shooting up scenes, were reminiscent of Guy Ritchie. But that rapid cut-paste style of editing and storytelling seems to have been quite a fashion during those 3-4 years. Not to be missed, this movie.

Y'know, I'm not gay, but I think Brad Pitt has THE best bod I've ever seen on a guy. Maybe within the top 5 even if I included women. He can sell me a gym any damn day. Heck, he can probably sell me ANYthing he wanted to sell. And he can act. Seven, Snatch, Fight Club, Legends of the Fall...he's good. Ok, so the characters are reasonably similar in most - a natural nonchalance, crazy streak, wild child maverick. But convincing you that it all comes so naturally, making you believe in his character is not easy. Edward Norton ain't no spring chicken himself - Keeping the Faith, Red Dragon, The Score - and Fight Club was probably his springboard. Another crazy, fucked in the head (ha ha - ironic considering the plot) movie. No wonder I loved it.

And now, I've got Memento, Gangs of New York and many, many others to look forward to.

Yay piracy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home