Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Victory

Koi hum se jeet na paave, chale chalo, chale chalo

It sounds damn cheesy at all other occasions to me, but it did sound rather nice this time. India beat Pakistan in a series in Pakistan for the first time ever. This is History 101, Mr Ganguly, and you're it! There was only one problem - try as I might, I couldn't get the idea that the match was fixed out of my head.

I seem to have caught on to some subtle signals in the previous 2 matches, made some subconscious connections, and the way the final and the series would pan out seemed rather clear. Mind you, even after the match fixing scandal rocked the world a few years ago, I still watched with avid interest. I'm the last person to doubt the veracity of a match. But yesterday, I just couldn't help it. The words and predictions felt very strange coming out of my mouth. Now, people I told my theories to tell me they wanted to call me during the match because they felt I was right. And I SO didn't want to be right.

This series is way, WAY beyond just a game. I feel truly touched by the many stories of Pakistani hospitality and bhaichaara towards Indians. The common man Pakistani insists the animosity is hype created by politicians and militants - we have no problems with you folk. There are many email forwards doing the rounds about the extraordinary niceness and goodwill, and the inevitable follow-ups saying they were hoax mails.

No.

No hoax. Live interviews of Indians in Pakistani stadia and streets would touch the stoniest of hearts. Reputed journalists of the much maligned media go out on a limb to substantiate the wonder tales. Alright, so I get emotional about some things easily. So what? My heart jumps with joy at such tales of communal harmony and brotherhood. I like seeing hands cross at a shaking level and not at a choking level. No, there is no hoax. I believe the love is genuine. It sends a thrill down my spine so even if it is all a lie, so be it. Even if it is just a show, I don't care - I want to believe.

Just as I want to believe in this victory. With all due respect to healthy rivalry - The battle is won, bring on the war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home