Tuesday, March 01, 2005

For the love of the Game.

I’ve always loved sports, and been reasonably good at most sports I’ve played.

Football – been on the house team in school, the class team in junior college, the faculty team in college. In fact, one of the sporting triumphs that shines brightest in my memory is our class team winning the college football tournament in the second year of junior college. We were beaten in the first round the previous year, and nobody gave us a ghost of a chance. But it was a great match and one of the most awesome feelings I’ve ever experienced. It deserves a whole post. Anyway, I’ve always been good enough to make it to the footie team of whatever group I belonged to.

Volleyball – was always considered too short in school to be a serious volleyball player. But I knew I could play. Kept at it, played in the class team in junior college, became captain of the B.Sc. team in college, was the only player from the sciences to play for the main college team, went to the inter-college competitions, played against and whooped the ass of an old schoolmate – one of the guys who wouldn’t let me play in school. Ha! Eat that, bitch. Not so short now, eh? Now captain of the corporate office volleyball team at work.

Basketball – doesn’t come naturally to me, but I still loved the game. Played in junior college, won a medal for it, played in college – won two medals. I’m not sure, but I think I captained the B.Sc. team too, one year.

Cricket – what can I say, I’m Indian! Therefore born into cricket. Like every other normal boy, have played it forever. Played in most teams I was eligible for. Was told I had talent but never pursued it. As a result, haven’t won too many prizes for it. Am a decent bowler and a fair batsman. The love of the game keeps me playing it, whether it’s gully cricket with a rubber/tennis ball or maidaan cricket with the normal, hard cricket ball. Recently made it into the company cricket team, considered quite difficult to get into.

I have played tennis and participated in a couple of tournaments, but quit a fair while ago. Not too bad either at badminton, table tennis, pool/snooker.

But every once in a while, every sportsman gets a kick in the balls, so to speak; it’s like fate telling you to chill the fuck out for a bit, and to let the body relax.

I got one yesterday.

We were practicing in the nets for the big inter-company cricket match against our biggest rivals in the corporate scene. I was bowling to the best bat in our team and had got him out twice (not many get him out in the nets). He went after the next ball and it shot straight back at me. In hindsight, if I hadn’t put my hands up, it might have broken a rib. As it happened, I now have a broken thumb. Which SUCKS, because now I cant play the damn match I was practicing for! And probably not the next few either, because it takes 3 weeks to heal! ^#%*&$$$()%^*

What’s the scariest thing in a doctor’s office? When the experienced doc, who’s supposed to have seen hundreds, if not thousands, of patients, looks at your finger and goes “Oh my God!” I can tell you, he scared the crap out of me. Then I get the x-ray, he looks at it and says in a singsong voice “There is a fractuuuure! It will need surgeryyyyyy!”

What??? Sonofa…I’d prefer it if you didn’t seem quite so happy. Dammitbitch!

Anyway, I got it looked at by another doc, an orthopaedician our family trusts, who told me surgery may or may not make a huge difference. The only reason I went to the other guy was because a fellow member of the cricket team also went to him recently with a problem, and he’s a reputed doctor. But I realized he probably said surgery because he stood to make a lotta munney out of it from the corporate medical insurance people. Anyway, I’ve decided to not operate for the moment, and see what happens. But the thumb’s pretty much outta commission. And the saddest part is that I’ve been advised to not ride my bike! Damn. The injury was painful but that really hurt. Hmph.

So at the moment, no bike, no sports, no guitar (which is another big problem, with a show in 10 bloody days), and I’m wondering how I can go for the Knopfler concert. Talking of which, it looks like Bangalore now, because the big match is on the 5th and I have to at least be with the team even if I’m not playing. So Bangalore on the 7th, then. Would any of y’all like to meet up over there? ;-)

Coming soon : my other sporting injuries, including the #1 hit, The Ankle Scar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home