Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Pointless

In the larger scheme of things, what's the point to anything?

My life, your life, our little interactions, humanity, the existence of anything. Anything. I mean, it's not like I'm depressed, but this line of thought is pretty sure to get me there! I was born, I live for 70 years and then I cease to exist. What has my time here accomplished? Okay, so I had children and propagated the species, in my own small way. And what has that accomplished? My children will cease to exist one day, too. And even if they didn't die, is there a point to immortality?

I could think that the one way of 'living on' after I'm gone is to contribute something to our combined heritage as a race. Write a book that someone may read many years later, compose music that will stay on in memories, and both these could provide some pleasure to someone at some point; or initiate a movement that betters humanity in some way...I don't know. We still draw from 2000 years of history, maybe I can achieve something in my lifetime that will keep my memory alive.

Then what?

I'm not too sure about the existence of an afterlife, so how will it matter to me after I'm gone? People may remember, they may not. How is it going to change my status? Am I going to be any happier or sadder or any less dead? Will someone thinking highly of me a 100 years later bring me back to life (assuming I even WANTED to come back to life)? I question the existence of everything around me, every little thing, and ask, extremely originally, what's the point of it all? And at the moment, it feels like - nothing.

But there must be a solution. Or supportive therapy, at the very least. I cannot let this thought gnaw at my insides for any length of time. That would just make me unhappy.
Ah.
Happiness.

Here and Now. Here and Now.

This seems to make a smidgeon of sense. If I can live out my life, making it the richest experience I can have, that might seem like a purpose in itself. I'm sure many, many great people have gone down this thought path before. I have just joined it from a side lane. Maybe I could draw from their ideas. Maybe they've crystallised these ideas better and I could read what they've written. I should start, seeing how I've never read a single religious text or a single philosophical treatise in any depth at all. Ever. No time like the present to start, I guess. So, in today's class, we have learnt that my immediate purpose in life is to learn as much as I can, experience even more, and find happiness. Nothing else matters too much and even if it did, it's unlikely to make too much difference in the end.

Give me a place to stand and I shall move the earth.
Give me a purpose, and I shall justify and validate my existence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home